- Submitted by Dahlia
Jump to recipe ↓
Beetroot Chutney is an excellent way of including this nutritious vegetable in our diet. Chutneys are made with many different vegetables in South India and this is one of them. It can be had as a side dish with idli, dosa, chapati and steaming hot white rice.
Beetroot is one vegetable that is not liked by all. It has a sweet taste which doesn't blend well with many Indian dishes. It is often combined with other ingredients like lentils, coconut etc. to make it palatable. In this chutney, beetroot is combined with roasted lentils, garlic and grated coconut which makes it very delicious. Even people who do not enjoy this vegetable can eat it easily.
I encourage everyone to try this recipe. I really enjoy eating it with some plain white rice.
Video Instructions for making Beetroot Chutney
Recipe for Beetroot Chutney
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
- Beetroot - 1 (medium)
- Shallots (Sambhar Onion) - 3
- Garlic - 2
- Grated Coconut - 4 tbsp
- Tamarind - marble sized
- Salt - to taste
To Roast And Grind
- Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tbsp
- Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 5
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Wash, peel and cut the beetroot into cubes.
- In one pan saute the shallots, garlic, tamarind, beetroot cubes and the grated coconut for 5-10 minutes.
- Switch off and let it cool.
- In another pan, dry roast the ingredients under To roast and grind till it turns golden brown. Cool it.
- Take the roasted ingredients in a blender or mixie and powder it.
- Next add the cooked beetroot- coconut mixture and required salt to this.
- Add little water and make a chutney. You may grind it coarsely or make a smooth paste as you like.
- Transfer this to a serving dish.
- Heat oil in a pan and do the seasoning. Add this right on top of the chutney. Beetroot chutney is ready to be served.
- You can serve this chutney with idli, dosa, white rice ro chappatti.
- You could also spread it on bread to make sandwiches.
More Chutney Recipes