- submitted by Dahlia on 01-25-2011
(Kadhai Bhendi, Karahi Bhendi, Spicy Okra Masala, Vendakkai Masala)
Ladies Finger (Okra, Bhindi) - 1 lb
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Tomato - 2 (pureed)
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Capsicum - I used 1/4 of each green and yellow bell pepper
Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - as needed
Oil - as needed
Cilantro - 2-3 springs
1. Wash the okra, dry it and trim the edges. You can leave the okra whole or cut it into 1" pieces.
2. Deep fry the okra till all the stickiness is gone. The okras should retain its nice green colour so do not over fry.
3. Heat oil in a different pan/Kadhai and add some cumin seeds.
4. Add the onions and saute till it is golden brown.
5. Fry the ginger garlic paste and then add the tomato puree.
6. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the dry spice powders (corriander, turmeric, chilly and garam masala powders).
7. Add salt and cook till the oil oozes out of the masala.
8. Add the capsicum pieces, fried okra pieces and cilantro.
9. Gently toss it, cover and let it cook for 2 minutes.
10. Switch off and serve with any roti or rice. In restaurants, this dish is served in a cute looking kadai.
- Substitute paneer for okra and you have 'Kadhai Paneer
Click to see other recipes with Ladies Finger (Okra).