-Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Vendakkai Fry, Ladies Finger Fry)
Recipe for Kurkuri Bhindi Fry
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10
- Okra (Bhindi or ladies finger) - 250 gms
- Gram flour (besan) - 3 tbsp
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp
- Salt - As per taste
- Red Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Amchoor Powder - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Oil - for frying
- Wash and cut the okra in a slanting shape. It should be thin stripes. Only then we will get crispy fry.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder, amchoor powder, asafoetida and turmeric powder on top of it and mix well.
- Next add the gram flour and rice flour. Mix well until the okras are coated with the gram flour.
- Finally add salt and mix well.
- Deep fry it in batches in a kadai with hot oil over medium heat. Fry each batch for about 3 minutes and not more than that. It should have some green colour and not be like tasteless sticks.
- Remove from oil using slotted spoon and drain excess oil using paper towel. You will get nice crispy bhindi fry.
Detailed Steps to make Kurkuri Bhindi Fry
Wash the okra and let it dry completely. This will reduce the sliminess while cooking.
Trim the edges of the okra.
Cut each okra into thin slanting strips. You can also cut into thin long strips.
Chop all the okra in the same way and let it dry for few minutes.
Sprinkle red chili powder, asafoetida and turmeric powder on top of it and mix well.
Once the spices coat the okra pieces, add the gram flour and rice flour.
Mix this well. Add salt only at the final stage.
Fry it in batches in medium hot oil. Just fry each batch for about 3 minutes. Only then the beautiful green colour and taste will be retained.
Drain excess oil using paper towel. You will get nice crispy bhindi fry.
Serving Bhindi Fry
- Serve hot with chapati, rice etc. When it becomes cold, you will not enjoy the same much.
- Left over can be used in making any gravy subzi. You can mix with tempered curd, sambar or with tomato gravy of your choice.
More Okra/Bhindi Recipes