- Submitted by Dahlia
(Karuvadu Kuzhambu, Karuvattu Kuzhambu, Dried Fish Curry, Karuvaatu Kulambu)
Karuvaatu kulambu or dry fish curry is a tangy and spicy South Indian fish curry recipe in which the dried fish is cooked along with some vegetable like brinjal, drumstick, raw mango, etc.. in a tangy coconut tamarind sauce. Today I am going to prepare nethili karuvadu kuzhambu.
Recipe For Dry Fish Curry
- Dried Fish - 1/2 lb (about 250 grams)
- Shallot Onion - 5/ Onion - 1/2 (chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (chopped)
- Green Chillies - 2
- Brinjals (Eggplant) - 3
- Drumstick - 1
- Raw Mango - 1/2
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
- Tamarind Pulp - 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 2 springs
- Soak the dried fish in some water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and wash it thoroughly to remove any grits.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and green chillies and fry it golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder. Also add the chopped vegetables.
- Add the tamarind pulp and required water. Bring it to a boil.
- Cover and let it cook till the vegetables are almost cooked.
- Make a smooth paste of the coconut and add it to the gravy.
- Finally add the dried fish. Cover again and cook till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Switch off and let the gravy rest for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Dry fish curry or karuvaatu kulambu is best when served with plain rice
More Fish Recipes