- Submitted by Eliza
(Kerala Style Meen Molee, Fish Moly)
Jump to recipe ↓
Fish Molee is a famous Kerala fish curry made with fried fish and cooked in coconut milk. The word molee itself literally means "stew". It is a mild stew suitable for those who like mildly spiced food. Those who like more spice can increase the number of green chillies. The fish curry can be had with white rice, puttu, pathiri, vellaiappam, aapam, Boiled Tapioca, etc.
Recipe For Fish Molee
- Fish Fillets - 4
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
For Gravy (Stew)
- Green Chilies - 2
- Onion (medium sized) - 1 (sliced diagonally)
- Ginger - 1 " (sliced)
- Garlic - 2-3 pods (sliced)
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Coconut Milk - 2 cups (Tastes best with fresh coconut milk)
- Curry Leaves - 1 string
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Lemon Juice (or vinegar) - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Wash the fish fillets thoroughly and then marinate with turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the fish fillets.
- After a few minutes, or when fillets turn light golden brown in color, remove the pieces.
- In the same oil, fry onions, curry leaves, garlic and ginger till they get cooked.
- Add sliced green chilies and fry for a minute.
- Add water, lemon juice, pepper powder and salt to the above.
- Boil the mixture and then lower the flame.
- Add coconut milk and simmer the gravy for 3 to 4 minutes until it becomes thick. Do not let it come to a full boil. Just let it simmer.
- Now add the fried fish fillets to the above and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add sliced tomatoes (optional). Fish Molee is ready to be served.
- For health conscious people use half coconut milk and half fat free milk for the gravy.
More Fish Recipes