- Submitted by Dahlia
(Beans Carrot Sauté, Beans and Carrot Poriyal)
Jump to recipe ↓
Poriyal is a traditional South Indian preparation made almost everyday with one or the other vegetable. Sometimes combination of vegetables makes it even more interesting and tasty. One such commonly made combination is beans carrot poriyal. This not only tastes good but also looks attractive with a bright contrast of green and orange.
Personally I make this beans carrot poriyal whenever I want to add carrot to my diet because few of my family members do not like plain carrot poriyal. Some people add equal quantities of beans and carrot. However I like to add more green beans than carrot to suit to my family taste. Do give tis a try.
Recipe For Beans Carrot Poriyal
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Green Beans – 1.5 cup
- Carrot – 1 cup (chopped)
- Onion – ½ (chopped)
- Green Chilies – 2
- Grated Coconut – 2-3 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt - as required
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chili – 1
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Wash and chop the veggies – onion, green chilies, beans and carrots into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai, pop the mustard seeds and urad dal. Add the asafoetida, dry red chili and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onion and green chilies. Saute for half a minute.
- Next add the chopped green beans, carrots, turmeric powder and salt. Add 2 tbsp of water, cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid, add the grated coconut and stir fry for 3-4 minutes. Switch off and enjoy.
- This beans carrot beans poriyal tastes great with white rice and some curry like moru curry, rasam, sambar or kaara kulambu.
- It can also be served with chapathi, lemon rice, tomato rice etc.
More Poriyal / Sauté Recipes