- Submitted by Dahlia on 22nd Feb 2015
(Raw Banana Stir Fry, Raw Plantain Stir-Fry, Kaaya Thoran)
Vaazhakkai Poriyal (Raw Banana Stir Fry) is a very simple, quick and easy to make side dish. It makes a great pair with any spicy gravies like vattal kulambu, puli kulambu or even with sambar or rasam.
In South India, raw banana is available in plenty. In US, I have seen raw plantain in almost all super markets. You can make this vazhakkai poriyal with either raw banana or raw plantain. Kids are usually fond of starchy vegetables like raw banana, potato, yam etc. So try out this recipe and enjoy today.
While making this vazhakkai poriyal, I do not like to add onion. However, I add garlic as the raw banana can cause gas and garlic helps to balance it.
- Raw Banana or Raw plantain - 1 big or 2 small (about 1.5 cups when chopped)
- Grated Coconut - 3 tbsp
- Green Chilies - 2 (finely chopped/ slit)
- Garlic - 2 cloves (finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chili - 1
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Peel the skin of the raw banana. Wash it and chop it into small cubes. I usually prefer cutting into tiny cubes.
- Keep the chopped raw banana in a pot filled with cold water to prevent it from turning black. Once you have chopped everything, add some salt and turmeric powder to the water.
- Now keep the pot on fire and cook for few minutes. When the raw banana just begins to get tender, drain the excess water.
- Heat the oil in a pan/ kadai and add the mustard seeds. When the seeds pop, add the urad dal.
- Once the urad dal turns golden brown, add the dry red chili, asafoetida, curry leaves, green chilies and garlic.
- Saute for half a minute and then add the cooked raw banana.
- Add the grated coconut and stir fry for half a minute more.
- Switch off. Tasty Raw Banana Poriyal is ready to serve.
- If you like this poriyal spicy, then pulse the green chili or red chili with the coconut and add it.
- Vaazhakkai Poriyal tasts very good with plain rice along with gravies like vattal kulambu, puli kulambu or even with sambar or rasam.
More Raw Banana Recipes