- Submitted by Dahlia
(Beetroot & kadalai paruppu kootu)
Jump to recipe ↓
Beetroot is one vegetable that many people do not enjoy. My family members belong to the same category. So I try out different variations of this vegetable to make it appealing to them. One such dish that they don’t mind eating is this Beetroot Channa Dal Sabzi.
This side dish is a perfect blend of flavours. The channa dal and red chilli powder cuts down the sweetness of the beetroot. You can make variations of this sabzi using brown chickpeas or moong dal too. Only tip you need to note down is that the dal should not be overcooked. It should retain its crunchiness for the best taste. Do give this a try if you are wondering what to make with this nutritious vegetable, beetroot.
Recipe for Beetroot Channa Dal Sabzi
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Beetroot - 1 (chopped)
- Channa dal (Bengal gram) - 1/4 cup (dry)
- Onion – ½
- Garlic Cloves - 3
- Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chaat Masala – ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Green chilli - 1 (chopped)
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash the channa dal and soak it in water for 10-15 minutes while you cut the beetroot and onion.
- Take this channa dal, chopped beetroot, onion and garlic cloves in a pressure cooker.
- Add sufficient water to just cover everything. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Cover the cooker and cook for 3-4 whistles until the dal is cooked soft. It should be soft but not mushy.
- Heat oil in a kadai and pop the mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add the cooked beetroot channa dal mix to this.
- Coarsely grind the grated coconut, cumin seeds and green chilli. Add this also to the kadai.
- Let everything cook together for 3-5 minutes till all the excess moisture evaporates.
- Finally add some chaat masala and chopped coriander leaves. This is optional but adds a different flavour to the dish. Switch off and serve.
- This beetroot channa dal sabzi can be served with roti, variety rice or white rice.
More Beetroot Recipes