- Submitted by Dahlia
(Paneer Masala, Masala with Indian Cottage Cheese)
Jump to recipe ↓
Paneer is a favourite among children and even adults. Paneer is used to make stuffing for sandwiches, rolls and even made as curries. I have already shared several paneer recipes. Here is another finger licking curry with a blend of aromatic spices known as Dhaba style Paneer Masala.
This spicy Indian paneer dish is usually prepared in Punjabi dhabas. It is full of flavour and tastes awesome with roti varieties and pulao varieties. Do try this recipe and I am sure you will enjoy it.
Recipe For Dhaba Style Paneer Masala
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Paneer - 200 gms
- Green peas (optional) - 1/4 cup
- Onion - 2
- Tomatoes - 3
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Whole spices - 1" cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 3 cardamom
- Shahi jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Gram flour - 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder -1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Kasoori methi - 1 tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - for garnish
- Chop the paneer into cubes. Make a paste of the onions and tomatoes separately.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, fry the paneer cubes and remove it in a plate.
- In the same pan, add additional 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp ghee. Add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and Shahi jeera.
- Add the onion paste and cook for 5-8 minutes. It should become golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Mix the dry spices in a small bowl - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder and gram flour.
- Add these powders to the pan along with 2 tbsp of water. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree to this. Cook together for 5-7 minutes. The masala should be well cooked and oil begin to ooze out.
- Now add the paneer cubes, green peas, kasuri methi and garam masala. Add salt as required and 1 cup of water.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes till it all comes together.
- Switch off, garnish with coriander leaves.
- Enjoy the hot dhaba style paneer masala with chapati, naan or batura.
More Paneer Recipes