- Submitted by Dahlia
(Egg-less and Yeast-less Cake Doughnuts)
Jump to recipe ↓
Doughnut or donut is a ring shaped fried sweet snack. Doughnuts come with various types of toppings like sugar glazed, chocolate glazed, strawberry glazed and sprinkles. It is soft and is loved by kids. It is popular in bakeries and supermarkets.
Doughnuts are usually made with flour, eggs, milk, sugar, oil and yeast. The yeast doughnuts are softer and more common. There is another variety called the Cake Doughnuts. Here baking powder is used for leavening which makes the texture denser.
I made this doughnut during the lockdown period when I just had limited ingredients on hand. Since I did not have eggs, I decided to add some baking soda. The cake doughnuts turned out pretty good. Kids made their own topping and enjoyed.
Recipe For Eggless Cake Doughnuts
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- All-purpose flour – 1.5 cup (You can also make these with wheat flour)
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Milk (or Buttermilk) – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Take milk, oil, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl. Mix it.
- Sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the wet ingredients.
- Mix together to form a sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a clean counter top or a stainless steel plate. Flatten the dough with your palm to make it 1/2” thick.
- Using a cookie cutter or some bottle cap, cut out doughnuts. Use a smaller bottle cap to make the hole in the middle.
- Heat oil in a pan, gently transfer the cut out doughnuts to the hot oil. Cook in medium low heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- After one side is fried, carefully flip it. The doughnuts should get a uniform golden brown colour on all sides.
- With the remaining dough make more doughnuts.
- When it is still hot, toss it in cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar. If you want glazed doughnuts, pour the glaze when the doughnuts are hot. Also add sprinkles on top as needed.
- Allow the doughnuts to cool for 5-10 minutes so that the topping set well. Tasty doughnuts are ready to enjoy.
- Enjoy with a cup of milk or tea for snack. You can even have it for breakfast.
More International Dessert Recipes