- Submitted by Trupti
(Malwani Style Chicken)
Jump to recipe ↓
Malwani cuisine is the name of the food varieties made in the Konkan region of Goa and Maharashtra. In this cuisine coconut is used generously. Malwani cuisine is dominated by non-vegetarian dishes.
Today I am going to share a popular Malwani Chicken recipe. The final dish is spicy, but you are sure to keep licking your fingers. Try this delicious chicken curry and enjoy with some bhakri.
Recipe For Malwani Chicken Curry
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Chicken – 750 gms
- Lemon - 1/2
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tomatoes – 3
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tbsp
- Malwani Garam Masala Powder – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 2 (sliced)
- Hot water – as required
For Green Vatan
- Green Chilies – 3 or 4
- Ginger – 2” piece
- Garlic – 8 to 10 cloves
- Coriander Leaves – 1 fistful
For Went Vatan
- Onion – 3 big (sliced)
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Garlic – 15 cloves
- Ginger – 2” piece
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Green Cardamom (Elaichi) – 4-5
- Black Cardamom - 2
- Coves (Lavang) – 5
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilies - 5-6
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Marinate fresh chicken with required salt, lemon juice and turmeric powder (haldi) for 25-30 min.
- Make the green vatan in mortar & pestle with green chilies, ginger, garlic cloves and fistful of fresh coriander leaves.
- For wet vatan, heat oil in an iron kadai. Add fresh grated coconut, sliced onions, garlic cloves, 2 inch ginger, coriander seeds, cumin seeds (jeera), green elaichi (cardamom), cloves (lavang), black pepper, big elaichi (black cardamom) and dry red chilies.
- Roast till golden brown and after it cools, make a coarse paste.
- Make a puree with 2-3 red tomatoes in mixie.
- In a kadai or pan heat 2 big spoon oil to it and add 2 sliced onions. Fry till golden brown.
- Now add the prepared green vatan and stir fry till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Next add the prepared wet vatan and stir for 1-2 min. To this add red chilli powder and Malwani garam masala powder and required salt.
- Add the tomato pure. Cook together till oil separates from the masala.
- Now add the marinated chicken and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add hot water to adjust the thickness of the gravy. Allow chicken to cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Malwani chicken has more gravy. As we add hot water, nice tarri comes on the rassa (gravy).
More Chicken Curry Recipes