- Submitted by Dahlia
(Pumpkin Mor Curry, Mathanga Pulissery, Parangikkai Mor Kulambu, Pumpkin Mor Kuzhambu, Pumpkin Moru Kuzhambu)
Jump to recipe ↓
Mor Kuzhambu is a traditional curd based curry prepared in Tamilnadu and Kerala quite often. Usually okra or watery vegetables like cucumber, ash gourd etc. are added to the curry. Sometimes it is even prepared plain without any vegetables. Today I am sharing yet another variation of Moru Curry with Yellow or Red Pumpkin.
Yellow Pumpkin has incredible health benefits with high vitamins and antioxidants. Though everyone know its nutritional value, many do not cook it. In fact they do not know how to include this super food in their regular diet. This Manjal Poosanikai (Yellow Pumpkin) Mor Kuzhambu recipe is a delicious way of enjoying this humble yet powerful vegetable. Do try it out.
Recipe For Yellow Pumpkin Mor Curry
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Yellow Pumpkin (Parangikkai or Manjal Poosanikai) – 1 cup (cubed)
- Curd – 1 to 1.5 cups
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Green Chilies – 3 or 4
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry Red Chilies – 2
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Peel the pumpkin and chop it into cubes. Take it in a vessel, add ½ cup water and some salt. Cook it for 10 minutes until it becomes soft.
- While this is being cooked, beat/ whisk the curd until it becomes smooth.
- Grind the grated coconut, grated coconut, green chilies, turmeric powder, few curry leaves and coriander leaves with little water (about ¼ cup) to a smooth paste.
- Add this ground paste to the cooked pumpkin and mix well. Cook for a minute.
- Reduce the flame to simmer and add the beaten curd. Check for salt and add if needed. Add black pepper powder.
- Cook it for few minutes till the entire curry becomes warm and slight bubbles appear around the edges. Switch off immediately.
- Heat oil in a small pan, pop the mustard seeds. Break the dry red chili and add to the oil.
- Finally add the asafoetida and curry leaves to the tempered oil. Add this to the kuzhambu. Moru Kuzhambu is ready to be enjoyed with white rice.
- This manjal poosanikai moru kuzhambu tastes awesome with some white rice along with masala vada or usili.
More Pumpkin Recipes