- Submitted by Dahlia
(3 Layer Vanilla, Strawberry & Chocolate Cake)
Jump to recipe ↓
Neapolitan is a decadent cake which has layers of chocolate and strawberry and vanilla. Its great for birthday parties. Since it has all 3 flavours, everyone will enjoy it.
Neapolitan Cake is not that difficult to make as we prepare a single cake batter. It is then divided into three and flavoured. I decided to bake this cake for my sons birthday as both strawberry and chocolate are his favourite flavours.
I followed the recipe from the YouTube channel Chikkus Dine. Since I was baking during the lockdown days, I did not have certain ingredients on hand. I just added substitute ingredients and the cake still turned out to be super tasty. In my cake I did not add enough food colour. As a result my strawberry cake is not bright pink. Maybe when you try, add some additional colour.
Recipe For Neapolitan Cake
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 cup
- Oil – ¾ cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Eggs - 3
- Vanila Extract – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
Additional Ingredients (for different flavours)
- Warm Milk – 1 + 1 + 2 tbsp
- Vineger – ¼ + ¼ +1/2 tsp
- Strawberry Syrup – 1 tbsp
- Pink Food Colour – 3 drops
- Cocoa Powder – 1 tsp
- Grated Dark Compound – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Water -1 cup
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Whipping Cream – 2 cups
- Cocoa Powder – 1 tbsp
- Strawberry Essence + Pink Food Colour – 3 drops
For Ganache Topping
- White Compound – 100 gms
- Fresh Cream – ¼ cup
- Butter –1 tbsp
- Dark Compound – 60 gms
- Fresh Cream – ¼ cup
- Butter – ½ tbsp
- Pink food colour – 2 drops
- Grease and line three 7 inch cake tins. If you have just one, thats ok too. You can wipe out the cake tin after baking each cake and use again.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
For making cake
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a bowl – maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift it 2-3 times to get it evenly mixed and make it airy.
- In another bowl, break the eggs and whisk it. Powder the sugar and mix with this.
- Also add the oil and vanilla extract with this.
- Now mix in the dry ingredients with the wet to get a smooth cake batter. This is our basic cake batter.
- Now divide this into 3 equal portions.
- In the first portion, add 1 tbsp milk, ¼ tsp vinegar and mix.
- Pour in the prepared cake tin and bake at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes.
- In the second portion of the cake batter, add 1 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp strawberry syrup, ¼ tsp vinegar and few drops of pink food colour.
- Mix it, pour in the cake tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Mix the grated dark compound and cocoa powder with 2 tbsp of warm milk. Mix this with the third portion of the cake batter, and add ½ tsp vinegar.
- Pour in cake tin and bake for 20 mminutes.
Cool all the three cakes well before frosting.
- Take whipping cream in a chilled bowl. Whip it till stiff peaks are formed.
- Take about 1 cup of the whipped cream for strawberry flavour, mix strawberry essence and pink food colour. Keep this aside
- Take another 1 cup of the whipped cream, mix in cocoa powder with this and keep aside.
For Sugar Syrup
- Boil ½ cup sugar and a pinch of salt with 1 cup of water until the sugar melts. Cool this.
- Take the chocolate cake in a cake stand. Pour a generous amount of the sugar syrup all around.
- Apply the chocolate frosting all over the top alone.
- Now place the strawberry cake on top. Pour the sugar syrup and apply the strawberry frosting on top.
- Finally place the vanilla cake as the top most layer. Drizzle sugar syrup. Apply the plain whipped cream all over the top and all around to cover the sides of the cake.
- Smoothen the top and the sides. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for about 2 hours before you pour the ganache topping.
- Take ¼ cup of fresh cream in a sauce pan and heat it. Do not bring it to a boil.
- Switch off and add the white compound. Stir it so that it completely melts and dissolves.
- Mix in 1 tbsp of butter with this. Your white chocolate ganache is ready. Strain this once to remove any particles present.
- Divide this into 2 halves. Leave one portion as such.
- In the second portion, add pink food colour and mix.
- Take ¼ cup of fresh cream in a sauce pan and heat it. Add the chopped dark compound and switch off.
- Mix till it melts. Add the butter and mix too. Your dark chocolate ganache is also ready.
- Pour the dark chocolate ganache in a tall cup, gently add the pink ganache on top of this with a spoon. Add the white chocolate ganache on top of this.
- Swirl around 2-3 times with a toothpick.
- Place the cake on a ring with a large plate underneath. Pour the ganache on top of the cake starting from one end. It will flow out in different colours forming a beautiful random pattern.
- Clean the edges, apply some ganache in the sides where it is missing and refrigerate the cake.
- Beautiful Neapolitan Cake is ready. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight for the best taste.
More Cake Recipes