-Submitted by Dahlia
(Indian Butterscotch Cake)
Jump to recipe ↓
Butterscotch Cake is one popular cake variety found in bakeries in India. It is a favourite among many, along with Black Forest Cake. Sponge cake is layered with butterscotch sauce, crunchy praline and airy whipped cream. Together it makes a rich cake. It has a perfect blend of texture and taste. Its a great cake for birthday parties.
These days we prefer to bake birthday cakes at home. Its a family project and kids enjoy it. Each year we try a different cake. This year we decided to make Butterscotch Cake for my daughters birthday. We were absolutely satisfied with the final product. So here is the recipe for those who want to give a try.
Recipe For Butterscotch Cake
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
Decoration Time: 30 minutes
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 1 cup
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/8 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 3
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 2 tbsp
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Butterscotch Essence - 1 tsp
For Butterscotch Sauce
- Sugar (White or Brown) - 1/2 cup
- Butter - 1/4 cup
- Cream (or Milk) - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/8 tsp
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Chopped nuts (Almonds & Cashews) - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/8 tsp
For Sugar Syrup
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Whipping Cream (Sweetened Non-dairy) - 1.5 cups
- Yellow Food Colour - 3-4 drops
To Make Cake
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl - maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift it a couple of times and keep aside.
- In another bowl, take the egg whites and whip it. Powder the sugar and whip it with the whites.
- Add the egg yolks one by one and beat with this. Also beat the oil.
- Finally mix the vanilla essence and butterscotch essence.
- Mix the sifted dry ingredients with the wet mix. Add the milk too.
- Using a spatula mix till everything comes together.
- Prepare a 7" cake pan and bake it in a 180 degree oven for 30 minutes. Alternatively you can divide the batter into 2 or 3 pans and bake thin cakes. I have baked 2 cakes in seperate 7" pans.
- Let the cakes cool down completely before frosting.
To Make Butterscotch Sauce
- Take the sugar in a sauce pan. Melt it and let it boil till it turns golden brown.
- Add butter and mix with the caramel. Switch off.
- Add the cream and mix together. Add a little salt also to balance the taste.
- Butterscotch is ready. You can strain it if needed. Cool it.
To Make Praline
- Take the sugar in a pan. Melt it and let it caramelize.
- Add butter, salt and mix with it.
- Mix in chopped nuts with this.
- Immediately transfer the mixture onto a butter paper. Cool it.
- After it cools, crush it roughly and keep this praline ready.
To Make Sugar Syrup
- Melt the sugar with water in a sauce pan. Cool and keep this aside.
To Make Whipped Cream
- Take the cream in a chilled bowl. Whip it using an electric blender for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of the prepared butterscotch sauce and yellow food colour with this.
- Whip this again till stiff peaks are formed. Keep it in the fridge till it is ready to use.
To Assemble the Cake
- Take a slice of cake on a cake board or cake stand. I had baked 2 thin cakes, so i took the first cake.
- Apply some sugar syrup over the cake.
- Spread some butterscotch sauce all over.
- Apply a thick layer of the whipped cream all over. Sprinkle the praline all around.
- Place the second cake layer and repeat the same process.
- Finally apply the whipped cream all around the cake.
- Decorate with the extra praline, butterscotch sauce and sprinkles.
- I also prepared some extra caramelized sugar, drizzled on parchment paper in a netted pattern. After cooling, it peels off easily. This can be placed on top of the cake as a beautiful piece of decoration. It gives a rich look to the cake.
More Cake Recipes