- Submitted by Dahlia
(Spicy Oats Vegetable Upma)
Jump to recipe ↓
Oats Vegetable Upma is a quick to make wholesome breakfast dish instead of the usual oatmeal preparation with milk. It has a spicy touch and is full of vegetables. The best part of this dish is that it can be made in less than 15 minutes. It can also be had by people on diet as a light dinner.
Oats has a tendency to get sticky and gooey quickly, especially if you are using instant or quick quicking oats. I generally prefer to buy rolled oats, which hold its shape better. Give this a try.
Recipe for Oats Upma
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- Rolled Oats - 2 cups
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Green Chilies - 3 or 4
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Carrot - 1 (chopped)
- Green Beans - 4 (chopped)
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup
- Capsicum - 1/2 (chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (chopped)
- Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Cashewnuts - 4-5
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Fresh coriander leaves - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Salt - as per taste
- Turmeric (haldi) powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dry roast the rolled oats for 5 minutes. This will help it to hold up the shape.
- Heat oil in kadai, pop the mustard seeds, urad dal, cashews and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion, green chilies, finely chopped ginger and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped vegetables and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of water and required salt to this and bring it to a boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes till the vegetables turn soft.
- Reduce the flame and add the oats to this.
- Mix well, cover with a lid and let it cook for 5 minutes. By now the water will get absorbed and the oats will get soft.
- Finally add the grated coconut and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix once and switch off.
Serving Oats Upma
- Serve this tasty, spicy upma with tea or coffee.
More Poha Recipes