- Submitted by Dahlia
(பீர்க்கங்காய் கடையல், Peerkangai Masiyal, Ridge Gourd Kadayal)
Jump to recipe ↓
Peerkangai Kadayal or Masiyal is a delicious sidedish made with fiber rich Ridge Gourd. It is simple to make and goes well with white rice, idli, dosa and chapathi. This is traditionally made in Tamilnadu. Different people make it with slight variations. Some people like to add little toor dal in the kadayal while others make it without it. Today I have shared my variation of peerkangai kadayal with potatoes. This potato gives a thickness to the kadayal and also a good taste.
Recipe For Peerkangai Kadayal
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Ridge Gourd – 1
- Potato – 1
- Small Onions – 15 (or 1 big onion)
- Tomato – 2
- Green Chilies – 4
- Tamarind – gooseberry sized
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Wash and peel the ridge gourd, potato, onion and tomatoes. You can use the ridge gourd peel to make chutney.
- Chop all the vegetables finely.
- Take the ridge gourd, potatoes, green chilies and tomatoes in a pressure cooker. Add ¼ cup water, some salt and cook for 2 whistles.
- After the pressure comes down, mash the veggies using a potato masher.
- Heat oil in a kadai and pop the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and some salt.
- Add the mashed vegetables and some (about 1 cup) hot water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the flame and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
- Serve the warm peerkangai kadayal as a side for with white rice, idli, dosa and chapathi.
More Ridge Gourd Recipes