-Submitted by Dahlia
(Peerkangai Chutney, Beerakaya Chutney, Ridgegourd Skin Chutney, Peerkangai Tol Chutney)
Jump to recipe ↓
Ridge gourd Chutney is a healthy and tasty chutney made with ridge gourd skin and flesh. Ridge gourd chutney goes well as a side with idli, dosa, steamed rice and roti.
Recipe for Ridge gourd Chutney
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Ridge guard - 1 (app. 2 cups of ridgegourd peel/ entire ridgegourd)
- Dry red Chilly - 4
- Tamarind - blueberry size
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Urad dal (Black garm) - 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- Grated Coconut - 1 tbsp (optional)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asaefoetida - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Wash the ridge gourd and peel the outer skin. You can use the skin alone for the chutney or use the entire ridgegourd.
- Cut the ridgegourd skin (and flesh if using) into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the urad dal till it turns golden brown. Add the sesame seeds, grated coconut (optional) and dry red chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add the ridgegourd pieces, garlic cloves and tamarind and fry till it is cooked and becomes tender. Switch off the flame.
- After this cools enough to handle, blend everything together to a coarse paste with required salt, asaefoetida and very little water.
- Serve this ridgegourd chutney (also called peerkangai tol thuvayal) with rice, idli and dosai.
More Chutney Recipes