- Submitted by Dahlia
(Kerala Style Pork Masala, Pork Masala Curry, Masala Pork)
Jump to recipe ↓
Pork masala is a delicious gravy made specially in Kerala. Pork cubes are cooked in a gravy that makes the whole dish finger lickingly delicious. Pork is highly fatty and adds so much flavour to the curry. I personally never grew up eating pork. I tried it recently for my husband. After I prepared it in the usual gravy, I realized that the flavour and texture of pork is totally different and awesome. It goes well with ghee rice, parotta, dosa or any tiffin varieties.
Recipe For Pork Masala
- Pork – 500 gms (cut into cubes)
- Onion – 2 big (or 15 sambar onions)
- Crushed ginger-garlic – 1.5 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Lemon Juice- few drops
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Whole Garam Masala – 3 Cloves, 1” Cinnamon stick
- Fennel Seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Clean the pork cubes and marinate with salt, few drops of lemon juice and turmeric powder for 15 minutes while your prepare the other ingredients.
- Pressure cook the port with ½ cup water for 5-6 whistles. Alternatively you can cook it in a closed pan with enough water for 30-40 minutes till the pieces are soft.
- Coarsely crush the fennel seeds, cloves and cinnamon.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the crushed garam masala. Add sliced onions and curry leaves. Saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add crushed garlic and ginger. Saute for couple of minutes.
- Add chopped tomato and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the cooked pork with the liquid. Cook together on medium flame for about 10 minutes for all the flavours to blend well.
- Switch off and keep it covered for at least 10 minutes before serving.
More Kerala Recipes