- Submitted by Dahlia
(Healthy Ragi Porridge, Ragi Java, Ragi Kanji)
Jump to recipe ↓
Ragi is a super food that is easily available throughout our country India. Although these days people have realized its nutritious benefits and are trying many recipes with it, there are some traditional ragi dishes that are still ever green. One such dish that has been made for years in Southern parts of India is this Ragi Malt made with Ragi flour and Palm Sugar. This is one of the first foods given to babies. While traditionally palm sugar or karupatti is used, you can also use other sweeteners like white sugar or jaggery but the taste will differ. People on diet can have this as breakfast. It is fibre and iron rich and makes you feel full for longer. You can also give this for kids as an after school snack.
Recipe For Ragi Malt
Preparation Time: 2 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Ragi (Finger Millet) Flour - 3-4 tbsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Palm Sugar (Karupatti) - as per taste (about 2 tbsp)
- Cardamom – 1 (crushed)
- Almonds / Cashews / Pista (chopped) – 2 tsp (optional)
- Take palm sugar in a sauce pan, add ½ cup water and heat it for couple of minutes. Once the palm sugar melts completely, strain it and set aside.
- In another sauce pan, take the ragi flour and add the rest of the water slowly while continuously mixing to avoid formation of lumps.
- Also mix in the strained palm sugar syrup with this.
- One you have a smooth liquid, place it on the stove. Cook it on medium flame with constant stirring.
- Cook this for about 3-4 minutes till the malt thickens. Finally add in crushed cardamom.
- You can serve as such or garnish with some chopped nuts before serving.
- Instead of full water, you can add water and milk in 1:1 ratio. I personally prefer making it with just water.
More Ragi Recipes