- Submitted by Dahlia
(Sooji Kichadi, Rava Khichadi)
Jump to recipe ↓
Rava Kichadi is a super simple tiffin to make yet it is very satisfying. It’s softer than upma and more healthier too as it includes lot of vegetables. Roasted rava is cooked with more water than regular upma which gives it that soft texture. Additionally ghee is added generously to it which gives a nice aroma to the dish. The addition of vegetables makes the whole dish colourful too. I’ve already shared Kichadi made with Grits that I tried during my stay in US.
Rava Kichadi is often served in North Indian weddings along with other tiffin items, sambar and chutney. It is also part of mini tiffin in all restaurants. Its a perfect dish to make during working days as it gets ready in a jiffy. Do give it a try.
Recipe for Rava Kichadi
Preparation Time: 10 mintes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Rava (roasted) - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Green Chilies – 4 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1” piece (minced or grated)
- Tomato - 1(chopped)
- Green Beans – 5-6 (chopped)
- Carrot - 1(chopped)
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup or Potato -1 (chopped)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts - few
- Curry leaves - 5
- Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water – 3 cups (Keep 1 cup hot water for adjustment)
- Heat ghee in a kadai and roast the rava till a nice aroma comes (About 5 minutes). Remove it in a plate.
- Heat oil in the same kadai and pop some mustard seeds. Roast the channa dal, urad dal and cashew nuts till it slightly changes colour.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves. Saute until the onions turn transparent.
- Next add the tomatoes, chopped green beans, carrots, potato and green peas. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the water with required salt and bring it to a boil. Add turmeric powder if you prefer a nice golden colour.
- Slowly stir in the rava while constantly mixing to avoid formation of lumps. It almost immediately starts thickening.
- Reduce the flame, cover with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes. Add some additional hot water if you feel the kichadi dries up.
- By now the rava will be cooked soft and absorbs all the water. Finally switch off and add a tbsp of ghee on top. This gives a nice taste and aroma. Soft Khichadi is ready to be served.
- Serve the Khichadi piping hot with coconut chutney or with some pickle.
- A cup of tea along with kichadi makes it extra special.
More Kichadi Recipes