- submitted by Trupti
(Maharashtrian Fasting Food, Spiced Sago)
Jump to recipe ↓
Many Maharashtrian fast on many Hindu festivals. Fasting has all together separate set of menu which is a really yummy rather than regular menu. Common Maharashtrian fasting dishes are Sabudana khichadi, sabudana vade, upvas Thaipeeth, Bhagar with Danachi Amti, Rajgira Bhakari with batata bhaji, etc. But most common is Sabudana Khichadi.
Vrat Sabushana Khichadi is soft and a wholesome meal for fasting. It needs to be consumed nice hot, cold khichadi is never a good option. I made this on Angarika Chaturthi, considered to be the most auspicious of all the Sankashti Ganesha Chaturthi. Here I am sharing the recipe with everyone.
Recipe for Vrat Sabudana Khichadi
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Sabudana (Sago) - 2 cups (medium size)
- Peanuts (Shegdane) - 1 cup
- Potato - 1 medium size
- Green chilies - 6 or 7
- Cumin Seeds - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar - to taste
- Desi Ghee - 4 tsp
- Fresh scrapped coconut - for garnishing
- Wash and soak sabudana for 6-7 hours, ideally soaking overnight is better. After washing sabudana, add some water just enough till all sabudana is soaked and no extra. If extra water is added then sabudana might get soggy and lumpy. In case if soaked sabudana gets lumpy, just spread it on thick turkish towel for 10 min and tap it kitchen paper napkin.
- Dry roast peanuts (shegdane), let it cool, then peel the skin and grind to a coarse powder on incher mode of mixer grinder. This is called kut.
- Peel and chop potato in medium slices. Some use boiled ones too. Chop green chilies.
- In a thick bottom vessel, heat ghee, temper with cumin seeds (jeera) and green chilies and add potato pieces. Stir and cover with lid to allow potato to cook.
- Once potato is cooked, add soaked sabudana, shegadane kut (roasted peanut powder) and stir properly.
- Add salt and sugar and give good stir, cover it with lid.
- Cook khichadi for 2-3 minutes on low to medium flame and stir. Repeat this for two more times and khichadi is ready.
- Garnish with fresh scrapped coconut, squeeze half lemon and stir again. If you not fasting then you can also add fresh chopped coriander .
Serving Vrat Sabudana Khichadi
- Serve garam garam khichadi with curd (dahi) or banana shikran or with potato papad.
More Maharashtrian Recipes