- Submitted by Dahlia
(Ulundu Soru, Khichadi with rice and black urad dal)
Jump to recipe ↓
Ulundu Soru or Ulutham Choru is a very traditional dish that is a super food. It is like a Khichadi made with rice and black urad dal. Whole urad or split urad dal can be used. It is a healthy dish and tastes awesome too. Ulutham choru goes well with thuvayal, aviyal or some non-veg curry.
I got introduced to this dish by my maid and loved it. We all know the health benefits of black urad. It is especially healthy for adolescent girls and women. Try this out and enjoy its benefits.
Recipe For Ulutham Choru
Preparation Time : 5 mins
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4 to 5
- Rice - 3/4 cup
- Whole Black Urad dal - 1/2 cup (You can use split dal too)
- Garlic – 6-8 cloves
- Dry Ginger Powder / Chukku Podi - 1 tsp
- Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
- Palm Jaggery – 2 tsp
- Water – 5 cups
- Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and dal very well.
- Take the water in a large pot or a pressure cooker. Bring it to boil.
- Add the washed rice and dal. Also add the garlic cloves, grated coconut, ginger powder, palm jaggery and required salt.
- Bring it to a boil again.
- If you are cooking in an open pot, cover with a lid and simmer for about 40 to 45 mins till the rice and dal is cooked soft. If using a pressure cooker, cook for 3-4 whistles and switch off. Let the pressure go down naturally.
- Fluff up the rice. It looks mushy at this stage but it will become perfect as it cools.
More Variety Rice Recipes