- Submitted by Dahlia
(Veg Dum Biryani, Vegetarian Dum Biryani)
While we all love chicken and mutton biryani, we can also make vegetable biryani for our parties and on week ends. I make the regular vegetable biryani often for lunch box for my kids.
Today I am going to share a very special recipe - Vegetable Dum Biryani. This vegetable dum biryani is so full of flavour and aromatic that it is a perfect party dish. It is colourful and tastes excellent.
Recipe For Vegetable Dum Biryani
- Basmati Rice - 3 cups
- Whole Garam Masala - 1/2 piece Cinnamon, 2 Cloves, 2 Cardamon
- Black Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Shahi Jeera
- Ghee - 3-4 tbsp
- Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon Juice - 1/2 (about 1 tbsp)
- Garlic - 1 (8 - 12 pods)
- Ginger- 2" piece
- Onion- 3 (Sliced)
- Green chillies- 4 nos
- Oil - 5-6 tbsp
- Caraway Seeds (Shahi Jeera) - 1.5 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - 1 piece Cinnamon, 3 Cloves, 3 Cardamon
- Vegetables - 2 cups (about 6-7 Beans, 1 Carrot, 1 Potato, few pieces of cauliflower, 1/2 cup Green Peas etc.)
- Tomatoes - 3
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Curd - 1/2 Cup
- Cashews - 2 tbsp (soaked)
- Mint Leaves - handful
- Coriander leaves (chopped) - handful
- Water - about 1.5 cups
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for about 15 minutes. Grind the ginger and garlic together.
- Heat about 2-3 tbsp oil in a frying pan and roast the cashew nuts. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same oil fry 1/3rd of the sliced onions until golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
For Making Masala
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy bottomed pot. Add shahi jeera and the whole garam masala.
- Add the sliced onions, green chilies and saute until golden brown. Also add the ginger garlic paste and fry.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and reqired salt.
- Following this add sliced tomatoes and cook until everything becomes mashed up.
- Add curd and garam masala powder. Cook for a minute.
- Add all the vegetables and cook together. Also add little mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Add water and cook the vegetables for about 5-7 minutes.
- Grind the soaked cashews to a smooth paste and add to this masala.
For Cooking Rice
- In a big pot bring about 15 cups of water to a boil for cooking the rice.
- Add 1 tbsp oil, salt, 1/2 tsp shahi jeera, peppercons and whole garam masala. Bring to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice and cook for about 5-7 minutes until the rice is partially cooked.
- Drain the water and keep the rice ready.
To assemble Biryani
- Take a heavy bottomed pot and add 2 tbsp ghee in the bottom.
- Add a layer of rice in the bottom.
- Add the prepared masala all over. Following this add the rest of the rice.
- Add mint leaves, chopped coriander leaves, fried cashew nuts, fried onions and some ghee on top.
- Heat a griddle and place this pot on top. Let the biryani cook on dum for 10-12 minutes. After 10 minutes you can smell the aroma all around the house.
- Switch off and rest for minutes before serving. Garnish with additional coriander leaves, fried cashews and fried onions.
- Serve with raita for any party.
More Biryani Recipes