- Submitted by Dahlia
(Chickpea Rice, Kabuli Channa Pulao, Kala Chana Pulao)
Jump to recipe ↓
Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) is a favorite in our family. We try to include white, black and green channa in our diet very frequently. The great thing about chickpeas is that it tastes so great in a wide range dishes including salads, curries, chaats etc. There are many famous recipes made with chickpeas like channa masala and the Kerala kadala curry which I have already shared. Chickpeas is also used in other countries commonly. Chickpea flour, known as besan (or gram flour) is used to make many gluten free dishes and fried snacks. Don't forget to check out all all my chickpea recipes here. I guess I've shared enough about the uses of chickpeas, lets get to the recipe for the day.
Usually when I soak chickpeas, I soak a big batch of it and cook it. I then freeze it and use instantly whenever needed. I like to include them in kurmas, pasta dishes, salads etc. Today's recipe is a rice dish with chickpeas. It can be made quickly during week days for lunch box. Kids will love its taste and won't realize they are eating a protein rich healthy meal.
Recipe For Chana Biryani
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Chickpeas (White or Black or Green) - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1
- Green Chillies - 2
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Garlic cloves - 5
- Tomatoes - 2 (crushed)
- Oil and/or ghee - 2 tbsp
- Whole garam masala - 1" piece cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp of fennel seeds)
- Biryani Masala (home made or any brand) - 1 tblsp (If you do not have biryani masala, add 1/4 tsp of turmeric Powder, 1 tsp red chilly powder and 1 tsp Garam masala powder)
- Mint leaves (Pudhina) - 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Lemon Juice - 1-2 tsp (add as needed)
- Salt - as needed
- Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight or for at least 6 hours. You can skip the above steps by using canned chickpeas.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice. Let the rice keep soaking while you get the other things done.
- Coarsely grind the following ingredients in a blender or mixie - onion, green chillies, ginger, garlic, mint leaves and whole garam masala.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker. Add the above ground paste. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the biryani masala and fry for a minute.
- Next add the tomatoes and cook till the masala comes together.
- Add 1 3/4 cups of water and bring it to a boil. To make the biryani more rich, add 3/4 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water instead of full water.
- Add the soaked chickpeas, salt as needed, lemon juice and cilantro. Finally, drain the soaking rice and add to the boiling water.
- Close the cooker, put the pressure and reduce the flame. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes and switch off.
- Once the pressure is released, fluff the rice with a fork. Chana Biryani is ready to serve.
- Serve the hot chana biryani with any raita or gravies like ennai kathirikai, paneer butter masala, soya fry, egg kurma etc.
Channa Biryani With Black Chickpeas
Channa Biryani With White Chickpeas
See Other Biryani Recipes