- recipe by Monika Garg submitted on 09-11-2011
This one is very simple and very close to many popular chickpea recipes. However, Sabz-Chana is ideal for breakfast, any-time-salad or main course side dish.
1. Bowl of Chickpeas
2. One Small Onion - Sliced along its length
3. One Small Tomato - Chopped to small cubes
4. Turmeric / Haldi Powder
5 .Cummin / Zeera Seeds
6. Garam Masala
7. Coriander Leaves / Salad Leaves / Cilantro
9. Cooking Oil
10.Slice of Lemon / Salad Sauce (optional)
11. Green Chilies (optional )
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 2
Method of Preparation :
1. Soak the chickpeas for about 5 hours or overnight as per convenience. Boil them till they are soft when pressed under a spoon.
2. Heat about one tblsp of cooking / olive oil in a shallow cooking pan. Add cumin seeds and a pinch of turmeric powder to it.
3. Add onion slices to the cooking pan, as soon as cumin seeds begin to crackle. Keep moving and mixing the content of the pan. You can also add green chilies here if you want to.
4. When onion slices start changing the color to light pink , add boiled chickpeas, pinch of garam masala and salt to taste. Keep moving the contents of the pan with a ladle. It is good, not to let the onion turn golden before adding chickpeas.
5. Once the contents in the pan seem to be drying up, reduce the flame to the minimum. Add tomato cubes now and mix the content againfor 30-35 seconds. Switch off the flame and cover the pan to retain the heat and steam. This will allow the tomatoes to soften suitably. You may squeeze lemon at this stage or keep it for later.
You may add also onion and chickpeas together to the pan in step 4.
Serving Variations :
1. Take the contents out on the serving pan and garnish with coriander leaves / cilantro. Add a hint of lime to make it tangy.
2. Take a bowl of salad leaves and add the chickpeas preparation to it. Add lemon or salad sauce if you wish to.
This dish makes a wholesome meal, when taken with lassi / buttermilk / chach .
Very tasty, very nutritious and equally easy to make!!
Dish Recipe - Mrs Sudha Kapoor