- Submitted by Dahlia on 29th Jan 2008
Jump to recipe ↓
Tortillas or spring roll sheets are stuffed with spicy potato mixture and deep fried to make this quick Indian savory snack. Samosa is very famous through India. Here is a simple recipe to make samosa using tortilla or spring roll sheets.
Recipe For Samosa
- Tortilla/Spring roll sheets - 4
- Potato - 2 (boiled and cubed)
- Carrot - 1 (boiled and chopped)
- Green peas - 1 cup
- Cilantro - handful (chopped)
- Green chilly - 2
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Corriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Cashews - 6-7
- Lime - 1/2
- Salt - to taste
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste, green chillies and cashew nuts.
- Add the boiled potato pieces, boiled carrot pieces and green peas along with salt, chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and cilantro.
- Cook for 2 minutes for the flavors to blend together. Add few drops of lemon at the end. The filling is ready.
- For the outer covering, cut a tortilla in half.
- Make a cone shape as shown in the picture. Stuff the filling inside.
- Seal the edges using egg or with few drops of water.
- Deep fry in oil till it becomes golden brown.
- Drain excess oil using paper towel and serve hot with some ketchup or mint chutney.
- This is just one example of filling. Any filling can be made with any vegetables on hand. Even left over side dishes can be used as filling.
- You can also make non veg samosas with kheema masala.
- Instead of tortillas, the outer covering can be made at home. Use maida and make like chapattis, cut into half and fill it.
- Other alternatives to tortilla are frozen uncooked chapattis or spring roll sheets. The picture above shows samosas made with spring roll sheets.
Steps With Images
Take a tortilla/ spring roll sheet/ chapatti
Cut it into half
Shape it into a cone
Stuff the cone with the potato filling
Deep fry till the covering turns golden brown and crisp
More Indian Snack Recipes