- Submitted by Dahlia
(Matho, Amrakhand, Fruitkhand)
Jump to recipe ↓
Shrikhand is a sweet dish made with hung curd. It is basically thick hung curd sweetened and flavoured with different ingredients. Shrikhand is popular in Maharashtra, Gujarat and a few other neighbouring states. These days you get ready made packs of Shrikhand but it is simple to prepare at home. This can be had as a snack, dessert or a side with roti and puri.
I have shared the basic Shrikhand recipe below. Also, I have listed the variations that can be made with it. Shrikhand is one healthy dish that can be given as a snack for kids. Try it out.
Recipe for Shrikhand
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: NIL
- Yogurt (home made or store bought) - 3 cups (full fat preferable)
- Sugar - 3/4 (or as needed)
- Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Saffron Strands - few (6-7, soaked in 1 tbsp of warm milk)
Optional Flavoring Ingredients
- Sliced/ Chopped nuts (Almonds, Pistachios etc)
- Dry Fruits (raisins, cranberries etc)
- Chopped Fresh Fruits (mango, apple, pineapple, strawberries, chikoo, cantaloupe, raspberries, blueberries etc)
- Mango Pulp
- Pieapple Pulp
- Take a clean kitchen towel or muslin cloth and put the yogurt in it.
- Wrap the cloth and tie it. Now hang it or put it on a strainer to drain out all the water content.
- After a few hours (minimum 1 hour or even overnight), you will have a thick mass of yogurt left. (Tip: I usually put the tied cloth in a strainer, add some weight on top, put another vessel at the bottom and leave it in the fridge for a few hours. This way the water gets drained out without the yogurt getting sour.Another advantage is that the yogurt will remain cold and you don't have to chill the shrikhand separately after making it.)
- Take the thick yogurt in a bowl and add the sugar to it. Whisk with a spoon till the sugar gets dissolved and it becomes creamy.
- Now mix in the cardamom powder and the saffron milk.
- The basic shrikhand is ready to serve. This is also called kesar shrikhand. It is best served chilled.
Detailed Steps to make Shrikhand
Put the yogurt in a clean kitchen towel. Put this on a strainer and place a vessel underneath to drain out all the water content.
Tie the cloth, add some weight on top and leave it in the fridge for a few hours. This way the whey water gets drained and the yogurt will not get sour. Also the curd will be chilled.
After all the liquid is drained, you will have a thick mass of yogurt left.
Take this in a bowl and add the sugar to it. Also add the cardamom powder and saffron milk.
Whisk till the sugar gets dissolved and it becomes creamy.
The basic shrikhand is ready to serve. This is also called kesar shrikhand. It is best served chilled.
- Shrikhand is very very versatile and you can make any number of variations with it. Here are a few but the possibilities are endless :
- Shrikhand mixed with some mango pulp is popularly known as Amarkhand.
- When fresh fruits are mixed in, the shrikhand is commonly referred to as Fruitkhand or Matho.
- Add in your choice of mixed nuts and fruits with the basic shrikhand to make a 'Mixed Fruit & Nut Shrikhand'.
- You can also mix in any one particular fruit of your choice. Some of the options are mango shrikhand, pineapple shrikhand, apple shrikhand, strawberry shrikhand, blueberry shrikhand, raspberry shrikhand and chikoo shrikhand.
- There are also variations of shrikhand depending on the nuts that you mix in like pista shrikhand (with pistachios), kaju shrikhand (with cashews), badam shrikhand (with almonds).
- This is served as a sidedish with chappatti or poori. It is mostly part of the Maharashtrian and Gujarathi thali.
- It can also be served as a healthy dessert or as a snack.
More Curd / Yogurt Recipes