- Submitted by Dahlia
(Oats Curd Rice, Thayir Oats, Oats Thayir Sadam, Oats Curd Bath, Savory Oats With Yogurt, Yogurt Oats Savory)
Curd (Yogurt) rice is a favorite dish for all south Indians. In most South Indian homes, it is part of everyday meal. After a spicy meal, having some cool curd rice is very satisfying.During summers, I really enjoy curd dishes as a full meal whenever I get a chance. I also already shared some dishes like the curd rice, curd semiya and curd idli. Oats with curd is another healthy variation of curd rice, made with oatmeal.
It is better to include some healthy grains like oats, millets and quinoa at least 2-3 times in a week to your meal. Oats is high in proteins, fiber and reduces cholesterol. In foreign countries, oatmeal is often served in sweet form. I have already shared apple cinnamon oats. In India, people enjoy savory oats equally. Do check out my other savory oats recipes - oats soup, bisi bele oats and oats dosa. Curd oats is another savory variation which has the tangy taste form yogurt and the flavor of an aromatic seasoning. Kids and adults will surely enjoy this curd oats. Even those who do not like oats may change their mind on tasting this curd oats.
Recipe for Curd Oats
Preparation time: negligible
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Rolled Oats - 1 cup
- Water/milk - 2 cups
- Fresh Curd - 3/4 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Pomegranate seeds/grated carrot - 1 tbsp (for garnish - optional)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Dry red chili - 1
- Green chili - 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger - 1/2 " piece (finely chopped)
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - few
- Take the oats and water in a pan and cook it for 3-4 minutes till the oats gets cooked. You can also cook it in the microwave on micro power high for 2 minutes.
- Beat the curd and mix it with the cooked oats.
- Heat oil in a small tempering pan. Pop the mustard seeds and urad dal. Next fry the dry red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped green chilies, ginger and asafoetida to the seasoning oil.
- Add the oil to the oats-curd mix. Add required salt and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix everything and serve. You can garnish with pomegranate seeds, chopped seedless grapes, chopped cucumber, chopped raw mango pieces, grated carrot or toasted cashews.
Serving Curd Oats
More Oats Recipes