- submitted by Dahlia on 10-21-2008
(Shahi Murg, Badami Murg)
Chicken - 1 whole chicken (2 lbs cut into small pieces)
Almonds - 10
Cashew nuts - 10
(You can also add all almonds too)
Onion - 4-5 (finely chopped)
Yogurt - 1 cup
Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tblsp
Whole Garam Masala - ( 1 piece cinnamon, 4 cloves, 2 cardomon)
Coconut Milk/ Cream - 1 cup
(Adding coconut milk gives a south indian flavour)
Green Chillies - 5 (or as needed)
White Pepper - 2 tsp
Corriander-cumin powder - 1 tblsp (optional)
Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Cilantro - for garnish
Toasted sliced almonds - 2 tblsp (for garnish)
1. Soak the almonds, cashews and green chillies for 5-10 minutes and make a paste of it along with the soaked water. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add the garam masala and fennel seeds.
3. Fry the chopped onions till it sweats. Next fry the ginger garlic paste.
4. Add the ground almond-cashew-chilly paste.
5. Next add the corriander-cumin powder and 1/4 cup of water to prevent the masala from getting burnt.
6. Cover and cook this paste for 15 minutes till oil seperates from the masala.
7. Now add the yogurt and chicken pieces and saute for 5 minutes.
8. Add the coconut milk/cream, required salt, white pepper powder and more water as needed. Cover and let the chicken cook till it is completely cooked.
9. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and sliced almonds and serve with pulav or roti varieties.
- Since I have added corriander cumin powder, the gravy will be light brown in colour. If you want a nice white gravy, do not add it.