- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 03-18-2012
Breadfruit looks similar to jackfruit but it is different. It can be used only in the raw form. It will not ripe like the normal jackfruit. This is found in Kerala, South Tamilnadu, Maharashtra, Goa etc. You can use this to make sambar, molakootal, kootu etc.
Bread fruit - 1 no
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urid dal - 1 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Curry leaves - few
Asafetida - pinch
1. Cut the breadfruit and put it in water .
2. In a kadai, pour oil. When it becomes hot add the mustard seeds, urid dal. When it splutters, add the curry leaves and asafoetida.
3. Then add the cut breadfruit after removing the water. Add turmeric powder and salt.
4. Sprinkle little water and cover for two minutes. Sauté the same, add the coriander powder, chilli powder mix well and cover it.
5. In between stir the same. If required, sprinkle water.
6. When it is cooked, remove from the gas and serve hot with sambar rice, dahi rice, chapatti etc.
: You can put little subzi masala, garam masala before removing from the gas.
Breadfruit cut in half