- Submitted by Dahlia
(Indian Style Capsicum Stir fry, Bell Pepper Poriyal)
Jump to recipe ↓
Poriyal is a common preparation made in South India with all possible vegetables. It is simple to prepare and goes well with rice. Today I am sharing the poriyal recipe made with capsicum, also known as bell peppers.
Although capsicum is not traditionally from South India, it is found everywhere today. So why not make a typical poriyal with this vegetable too? Do give it a try.
Recipe For Capsicum Poriyal
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Capsicum (Bell Peppers) – 2
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Green Chilies – 2
- Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Wash the bell peppers (capsicum) and chop it into small pieces. You can also use multiple coloured capsicum.
- Chop the onions, garlic and green chilies finely.
- Heat oil in a kadai and pop some mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic green chilies and saute for just a minute.
- Add the chopped capsicum, turmeric powder and some salt. Cook covered for 4-5 minutes. The moisture in the vegetable is sufficient to cook it.
- Add the grated coconut and stir fry for another minute. Switch off and serve with rice and some curry.
- Serve the warm Capsicum poriyal as a side with plain rice and some gravy.
More Bell Peppers (Capsicum) Recipes