- Submitted by Dahlia
(Punjabi Chole, Chikpea Curry, Kadala Curry, Konda Kadalai Kulambu)
Jump to recipe ↓
Recipe for Channa Masala
Preparation time: 20 minutes (and 6 hours of soaking time)
Cooking time: 40
- Chikpeas (channa) - 2 cups
- Onions - 1 large (roughly chopped)
- Tomatoes - 2 medium (pureed)
- Garlic - 6 cloves
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - (bay leaf - 1, cinnamon sticks – 2, Black Cradamom - 1, Cloves - 2)
- Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp (or to taste)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Kasoori Methi - 1 tsp (optional)
- Amchur Powder (dry mango powder) – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Chopped cilantro, Slit Green Chili and Ginger slices - for garnish
- Wash and soak the chik peas for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Drain the soaking water. Pressure cook the chikpeas until they are tender (app. 4 cooker whistles). Overcooking will make it mushy.
- Take roughly chopped onions, ginger, garlic and tomatoes in a mixie jar. Blend it to a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan over medium heat. Temper with cumin seeds, bay leaf, black cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- Add the puree and cook it for about 5 minutes. Oil should separate from the masala.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, kasoori methi, amchur powder, turmeric powder and salt. Saute for couple of minutes.
- Now add the cooked chik peas along with the cooking water and let it simmer for 7 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, slit green chili and ginger slices. Serve with chappattis or puri.
Detailed Steps to make Channa Masala
Wash and soak the chikpeas for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight. The beans will double in size after soaking.
Drain the soaking water and take the plumped up chickpeas in a pressure cooker. A tea bag can be added along to give deep colour to the cooked chickpeas. Cook for 4 whistles and switch off.
Roughly chop the onions and tomatoes. Peel the ginger and garlic.
Take these in a mixie jar and blend it to a smooth puree.
Heat oil in a kadai and temper with cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, black cardamom and cinnamon.
After about 30 seconds add the puree to the hot oil.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes till oil separates from the masala.
Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, kasoori methi, amchur powder, turmeric powder and salt. Saute until a thick paste is formed.
Now add the chik peas along with the water in which it was cooked and let it simmer for 7 minutes.
Garnish with finely chopped cilantro, sliced green chili and sliced ginger.
- A tbsp of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of chaat masala can be added at the end to enhance the flavour.
- Store bought channa masala can be added instead of the dry ingrediants which will be equally flavourful.
- Tea bag gives a nice dark colour to the channa masala. It can be skipped too.
More Chickpea Recipes
More Vegetarian Gravy Recipes