- Submitted by Dahlia
(Kala Channa Curry)
Kadala Curry is a delicious gravy made with black chickpea and coconut. This is traditionally made in Kerala as a side dish along with Puttu. It also goes well with chappatti, puri, aapam, dosa or rice.
Recipe For Kadala Curry
- Black Chickpeas (Kala Channa) - 1 cup
- Onion - 1/2 (chopped)
- Green Chilies - 2
- Coriander Powder - 1.5 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/8 tsp
To Fry and Grind
- Pearl Onions - 4
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - 2" cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 2 cardamoms
- Coconut - 1/2 cup (You can add more depending on the gravy you want)
- Tomato - 1 big
- Oil (preferably coconut oil) - 1 or 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Dry Red Chilies - 2
- Soak the black chickpeas overnight and pressure cook with salt, chopped onions and green chillies. It usually takes about 4 whistles. (You can also use the slow cooker method to soak and cook beans.)
- In the meantime, dry roast all the ingredients under 'To Fry and Grind' except tomato.
- Roast on a medium low flame till the coconut turns brown in color. Be careful to do on low flame and not burn it.
- Cool the mixture and make a smooth paste along with the tomato and required water.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the dry red chillies and the ground masala. Fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spice powders - red chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Add the cooked chickpeas. Bring everything to a boil, reduce the flame and let it simmer till the gravy thickens.
- Check for salt and switch off. Garnish with some fresh curry leaves and serve with puttu.
- Here is a variation of kadala curry made in tamil nadu called "Kadalai Kuzhambu".
More Chickpeas Recipes