- Submitted by Monika Garg
(Bread Upma, Friday Poha, Quick fix snacks)
Jump to recipe ↓
Here is the recipe for Bread Poha . It is called Friday Poha because it needs ingredients that are just left by the end of the week in your fridge :)
Weekend Again: Grocery is due for renewal !!!!! All that is left in the refrigerator is 3 slices of bread, one carrot, 2 florets of cauliflower etc . But this is all or the like is just enough to make a wonderful breakfast / evening snack in 10 minutes.
Here We Go !
Recipe For Bread Poha
- Bread slices / Buns - 2 - 3
- Choice of vegetables ( carrot/ cauliflower/ capsicum/ peas/ Beans/ Potatoes ) - 1 small / medium bowl - Roughly Chopped.
- Onion - 1/2 - 1 - Sliced
- Oil - 2 tbs
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tbs
- Cumin Seeds / Mustard Seeds - 1 tbs.
- Salt - 2 tps / to taste
- Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
- Peanuts - 5-7 seeds
- Papri - boken handful.
- Take oil in the pan and heat it on medium-high flame. Add turmeric and cumin / mustard seeds to it.
- When the seeds begin to crackle , add all the vegetables to it. Sprinkle some water on the vegetables ( to aid their cooking ) and add salt. Mix well and cover it. Let the veggies cook for about 2-3 minutes. Salt added here should be able to cover for onions and bread that would added later.
- Take buns/ bread slices and sprinkle some cold water on them, just enough to make them slightly moist. Please do not soak / wash the slices. Gently break these moist slices into odd sized pieces and spread them on a plate.
- Once the veggies are partially cooked , add sliced onions to them and sauté contents of the pan and again cover for other 2-3 minutes. Adding onions at this stage would keep their flavour intact as veggies take longer to cook than onions.
- Once veggies are cooked, turn the heat off. Add bread pieces to them and gently mix everything and cover the pan for 1 more minute. This will synchronize the aroma of the ingredients.
- Garnish your dish with coriander leaves / peanuts / papri etc. Friday Poha is ready to be served with tea / coffee !
- You may add lemon juice at step 4 to give tangy taste to the dish.
More Left Over Recipes