- Submitted by Monika Garg
(Marinated Alu, Potatoes in yogurt gravy)
Jump to recipe ↓
Here's one Himachal Recipe my mom-in-law taught me (she knows that I am not a skilled cook, so she teaches me all yummy but simple dishes )..
Recipe For Pahari Alu Khatta
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3-4 people
- 4 Boiled Alu (good to be mashed)
- 2 cup curd (Tangy)
- 1 Ripe Tomato
- 1 Large Onion
- 1-2 Garlic clove
- Small Piece of ginger
- Cooking Oil
- 2 cups of Buttermilk/chach
- 1 cup of water
- Pinch of salt
- Zeera/ Cumin Seeds
- Garam masala (Optional)
- Turmeric/ Haldi Powder - to taste
- Coriander Leaves, Green Chillies - To garnish
- Mix Boiled Potatoes with curd and add a pinch of salt and leave aside for 20 minutes. (Mashed potato in the mixture, should have odd sized lumps and curd should be used generously).
- Grind tomato, onion, garlic and ginger into fine paste.
- Chop coriander leaves and green chillies for garnishing.
- Heat oil in a fairly deep pan and add cumin seeds. Add the paste (from step 2 ) as soon as they begin to crackle. Add turmeric powder, garam masala can be added here, but in small quantity, as it gives a darker color to the final dish. Let the content cook till golden brown.
- Add the marinated potato (from step 1) to the golden brown paste and mix well in the same pan. Add salt (to taste).
- Once the mashed potato is consistently covered in the condiments in the pan, add buttermilk / chach to it and add water.
- Let the pan simmer on medium to low flame till the volume of the dish is reduced to almost half. This should take around 10 minutes.
- Finally garnish the dish.
- Serve the pahari alu khatta hot for best taste, though cold one also tastes equally good :)).
- The dish can be teamed with kachori, samosa, paratha, poori and even rice!
Dish Recipe - Mrs. Sudha Kapoor
More Pahari (Himachal) Recipes
More Potato Recipes