- Submitted by Dahlia
(Green Dosai, Paasi Paruppu Dosai)
Pesarattu (Moong dosa/ Green Gram Dosa) is a famous Andhra tiffin item. It can be made either with moong dal(split green gram) or whole green gram lentil. It is usually had with upma and some chutney.
Recipe For Pesarattu
- Green Gram (Split/ Whole) - 2 cups
- Rice - 4 tbsp (optional)
- Green chillies - 5-7
- Ginger - 2" piece
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- Oil - for making pesarattu
- salt - as needed (app. 2 tblsp)
(you could use any of the following toppings, i prefer to use only onion toppings)
- Onions - finely chopped
- Green Chillies - finely chopped
- Grated Coconut
- Chopped Cilantro
- Soak the green gram and rice for at least 1 hour and drain the water. Longer soaking would be good.
- Add this soaked lentil and rice to a mixie/blender along with the ginger piece and green chillies.
- Add enough water and required salt and grind to a smooth paste.
- Remove the batter and mix the cumin seeds with it.
- Heat a griddle/ dosa pan. Check if it is hot enough by sprinkling few drops of water. The water will sizzle right away.
- Pour a ladle full of batter in the center and spread it into a nice round shape using the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle few chopped onions and few drops of oil on top.
- After it turns golden brown at the bottom, flip it over.
- After it gets cooked on both sides, remove from the griddle.
Other Idli / Dosa Varieties