- submitted by Dahlia on 03-30-2009
(Green Dosai, Paasi Paruppu Dosai, Moong Dal Dosa)
Pesarattu (Moong dosa/ Green Gram Dosa) is a famous Andhra tiffin item. It can be made either with moong dal(split green gram) or whole green gram lentil. It is usually had with upma and some chutney.
- Green Gram (Split/ Whole) - 2 cups
- Rice - 4 tblsp (optional)
- Green chillies - 5-7
- Ginger - 2" piece
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- Oil - for making pesarattu
- salt - as needed (app. 2 tblsp)
(you could use any of the following toppings, i prefer to use only onion toppings)
- Onions - finely chopped
- Green Chillies - finely chopped
- Grated Coconut
- Chopped Cilantro
- Soak the green gram and rice for at least 1 hour and drain the water. Longer soaking would be good.
- Add this soaked lentil and rice to a mixie/blender along with the ginger piece and green chillies.
- Add enough water and required salt and grind to a smooth paste.
- Remove the batter and mix the cumin seeds with it.
- Heat a griddle/ dosa pan. Check if it is hot enough by sprinkling few drops of water. The water will sizzle right away.
- Pour a ladle full of batter in the center and spread it into a nice round shape using the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle few chopped onions and few drops of oil on top.
- After it turns golden brown at the bottom, flip it over.
- After it gets cooked on both sides, remove from the griddle.
- Serve piping hot with chutney (peanut chutney or ginger chutney or coconut chutney).
Other Idli / Dosa Varieties