- recipe by Inara submitted on 07-09-2008
(Ari payasam, Annam Payasam, Rice Kheer)
A very simple and fast dessert. This is typically served in clay pots.
Whole milk - 1 litre
Rice - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Saffron - a pinch
Green cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Raisins - 15-20
Orange juice - 2 tbsp
mixed nuts - for decorating
1. Soak rice in water for a couple of hours, drain and grind course. Spread it on a cotton sheet to dry up.
2. Let it dry well making sure no lumps are left behind.
3. Soak saffron in 1 tbsp milk and raisins in orange juice.
4. In a heavy bottomed pan bring milk to a boil. Add sugar and rice.
5. Let this mixture thicken. Then add saffron, cardamom powder.
6. Spread raisins over the base of a dish and pour phirni over it.
7. Refrigerate this and serve chill. Decorate with sliced mixed nuts like almonds/pistachios before serving.