-Submitted by Sabina
(Rice Congee, Rice Green Gram Porridge)
Jump to recipe ↓
Payaru Kanji is a kind of rice porridge which is made in different parts of Tamil Nadu and Kerala in different ways. This particular type of kaji is usually made in south Tamil Nadu and is had with coconut thuvayal. It is generally had after a long fasting period, as a simple dinner or breakfast or even during cold as a comfort food. It can be given to kids, old age people or sick people since it is very easy to digest.
Traditionally payaru kanji is made with green gram. There are also variation made with black gram (ulutham kanji) or black eyed beans (karamani kanji). There are yet others who like to make it with just rice and do not add any beans. Instead of rice, some people substitute with oats, broken wheat etc. In Sri Lanka, vegetables are added along with the kanji to make it more nutritious.
Here is the basic recipe for payaru kanji that can be made very easily.
Recipe For Payaru Kanghi
- Rice - 1 cup
- Green Gram - 3/4 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove (Chopped)
- Pearl Onions - 3-4 (chopped)
- Fresh Grated Coconut - 1-2 tbsp
- Salt - as needed
- Water - a lot (app. 6-8 cups)
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Take a deep pan, add the oil to it and fry the fenugreek seeds.
- Next add the chopped garlic clove and pearl onions and fry for another 30 seconds. This step is absolutely optional.
- Add the water and bring it to a boil. The fenugreek flavor is infused in the water.
- When the water boils add the rice and green gram.
- Cover and let it cook till both rice and gram are cooked. If you feel you need more water, you can add some hot water to bring to the desired consistency.
- Finally add the required salt and grated coconut.
- You could also try different kanjis by substituting whole urad dal or red chori (red beans) instead of green gram.
- Another variation is to substitute rice with oats or broken wheat and you have a healthy oats kanji or lapsi kanji.
- Serve as a simple breakfast or dinner.
More Porridge Recipes