- Submitted by Dahlia
(Bisi Bele Oats, Oats Kitchadi, Oats with lentils, Oats kadamba Sadam)
Everywhere I go these days, I see people trying to reduce weight. Our life style has changed so much that people get diabetes, high cholesterol, and obesity at very young ages. So everyone is looking for healthy food or healthy alternatives to regular food.
Well, if you are like me and enjoy spicy food then today’s recipe is for you. Yes it’s a healthy alternative to Bisi Bele Bath. The rice is substituted with Oats and so I call the dish Bisi Bele Oats. You could also make Bisi Bele Quinoa following the same recipe. It’s a simple one pot meal that is just perfect for busy weekdays. So let’s get started....
Recipe For Bisis Bele Oats
- Oats - 1 cup
- Toor dal - 1/2 cup
- Vegetables - 1 cup ( Use assorted chopped vegetables like french beans, tomato, carrot, pumpkin, brinjal etc)
- Small onions - 3-4
- Tamarind - a small berry size soaked in water or 1.5 tsp of pulp mixed with water
- Bisi bele bath masala - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Wash and soak the toor dal for about half an hour. Soaking speeds up the cooking process.
- Cook the dal with the onions, vegetables and enough water till it becomes soft. To speed up, pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles. The dal should be tender and almost mashed up.
- Mean while, dry roast the oats on low flame. You could add the oats without roasting too. However, roasting helps the oast to hold its texture and not get very slimy.
- Heat the ghee in a kadai and pop the mustard seeds. Fry the cashews, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add some water and boil it. To the boiling water, add the oats and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the cooked dal with vegetables, bisi bele bath powder and tamarind water.
- Cook on medium flame for few minutes till everything is well blended.
- The consistency should be like a thick porridge. Add more water if needed.
- Once you attain the consistency, switch off and serve piping hot.
Enjoy the healthy Oats Bisi Bele Bath !............... Sorry.... Bisi Bele Oats :-)
More Oats Recipes