- Submitted by Dahlia
(Indian Style Rutabaga Side, Rutabaga Sabzi)
Rutabagas are similar to turnip with a mild sweet flavor. It tastes almost like potatoes when cooked. The same recipe can be used to make turnip masla, potato masala too.
Recipe For Rutabaga Masala
- Rutabaga/Turnip - 1 (chopped into small cubes)
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes - 2-3 (finely chopped or pureed)
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Coconut - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 6
- Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Whole garam masala - (1 cinnamon, 3-4 cloves, 1 bay leaf, 2-3 cardoon)
- Cilantro - for garnish
- Salt - to taste
- Fry the cubed rutabaga/turnip with 1 tbsp of oil until it browns nicely and keep aside.
- Dry roast the coconut, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, coriander seeds and grind them.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, spatter some mustard seeds, whole garam masala and curry leaves.
- Saute the onions till they are nicely browned.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste followed by the tomatoes. Cover and cook till the tomatoes are nice and soft.
- Next add the ground masala along with some turmeric and salt. Add the browned rutabaga/turnip with little water as needed.
- Cover and cook for 7- 10 minutes until a nice masala is ready.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with any roti or rice.
More Vegetable Masala Recipes