- Submitted by Dahlia
(Turnip Thoran, Shalgham Ki Sabzi, Turnip Vepudu, Turnip Stir Fry)
Turnip is a root vegetable high in Vitamin C, with a pungent flavor similar to radishes and a mild sweetness like carrots or beetroot. It has a strong odor when raw but the intake of turnip is said to reduce body odour. In this recipe, I've cooked it in the traditional poriyal style with nice tempering and lots of fresh grated coconut. The final dish turns out to be very aromatic no different from any traditional poriyal. You could also make carrot poriyal, beetroot poriyal, white radish (daikon) poriyal, rutabaga poriyal, Jicama Poriyal or any other root vegetable poriyal using the same recipe.
Recipe For Turnip Poriyal
- Turnip - 1 lb (grated)
- Onion - 1/2 (finely chopped/grated)
- Garlic -1 (minced)
- Coconut - 2 tbsp (grated)
- Split black gram - 1 tsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Dry red chilly - 2
- Curry leaves - 4
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard, dry red chilly, split black gram and curry leaves.
- Saute the onions and garlic for a while.
- Add the grated turnip and reqired salt. Cook for about 5 minutes spinkling a few drops of water if needed.
- Finally add the fresh grated coconut, mix it with the turnip and switch off.
- Add the tadka, grated turnip, onions, garlic, grated coconut and required salt in a microwave safe bowl and micro cook for 5 minutes in full power. Toss everything once in between.
More Turnip Recipes