- submitted by Dahlia on 10-14-2011
Beef - 1 lb (1/2 kg)
Potato - 1 big / 2 small ones
Onion - 1 big (sliced)
Ginger - 2 tsp (minced)
Garlic - 2 tsp (minced)
Green Chillies - 10-15 (sliced)
Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Whole Garam Masala - 2" piece cinnamon, 4 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 bay leaf
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 2 springs
Salt - to taste
Coconut Oil - 2 tblsp
1. Wash and cut the beef into small cubes. Cut the potatoes also in the same size.
2. Pressure cook the beef and potatoes together with some salt, water and 1/4 cup coconut milk till the beef becomes tender.
3. Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a pan. Add the whole garam masala and fennel seeds.
4. Add 1 spring of curry leaves, minced garlic, ginger, sliced green chillies and onions.
5. Saute for few minutes. Do not brown it.
6. Add the pressure cooked beef and potatoes along with the liquid.
7. Add the coconut milk, pepper powder and garam masala.
8. After the stew boils, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
9. Finally add 1 tblsp of oil and 1 spring of curry leaves and switch off.
- This tastes best with appam, idiyappam or white sandwich bread.
- It also goes well with chappatti, parotta or dosa.
- Last but not the least, it can served as a stew by itself.
- Try with other meat to make chicken stew or mutton stew.
- You can also add some other vegetables like carrots, peas etc to the stew.