- Submitted by Dahlia on 14th Oct 2011
Recipe For Beef Stew
Beef - 1 lb (1/2 kg)
- Potato - 1 big / 2 small ones
- Onion - 1 big (sliced)
- Ginger - 2 tsp (minced)
- Garlic - 2 tsp (minced)
- Green Chilies - 10-15 (sliced)
- Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Whole Garam Masala - 2" piece cinnamon, 4 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 bay leaf
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 2 springs
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp
- Wash and cut the beef into small cubes. Cut the potatoes also in the same size.
- Pressure cook the beef and potatoes together with some salt, water and 1/4 cup coconut milk till the beef becomes tender.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the whole garam masala and fennel seeds.
- Add 1 spring of curry leaves, minced garlic, ginger, sliced green chilies and onions.
- Saute for few minutes. Do not brown it.
- Add the pressure cooked beef and potatoes along with the liquid.
- Add the coconut milk, pepper powder and garam masala.
- After the stew boils, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Finally add 1 tbsp of oil and 1 spring of curry leaves and switch off.
This tastes best with appam, idiyappam or white sandwich bread.
- It also goes well with chapatti, parotta or dosa.
- Last but not the least, it can served as a stew by itself.
Try with other meat to make chicken stew or mutton stew.
- You can also add some other vegetables like carrots, peas etc to the stew.
More Beef Recipes