- submitted by Dahlia on 10-28-2008
(String Hoppers, Indian Rice Noodles)
Idiyappam is a kerala dish which is also called noolappam. It is also famous in Tamil nadu. It is basically rice noodles served with sweetened coconut milk. Traditionally it is a time consuming process wherein the rice is soaked, ground , sieved and then idiyappam is made. Nowadays idiyappam flour is readily available in the market which has made this one of the easiest recipe for a hearty breakfast or a quick dinner. It is also special enough for any parties. You can also make other variations of idiyappam like ragi idiyappam, millet idiyappam, atta idiyappam etc.
- Rice flour/ Idiyappam flour - 1 cup (You can also use the same recipe with ragi flour, millet flour etc)
- Water - 1 cup app.
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - to grease the idli plates
- Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the boiling water to the rice flour with required salt and knead it to form a smooth dough.
- Add little of the dough to the idiyappam presser.
- Grease idli plates with few drops of oil and press some of the dough onto the idli plates/ idiyappam stand. You will get noodles out of the dough.
- Add some grated coconut on top.
- Steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Use ragi flour to make ragi idiyappam.
Other Related Recipes