- Submitted by Dahlia on 6th May 2013
- Beetroot - 1
- Toor Dal - 1/2 cup (Soak for half an hour)
- Garlic - 4-6 cloves
- Tamarind - Lemon sized soaked in water
- Rasam Powder - 1 tsp
- Oil/Ghee - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Dry Red Chilly - 1
- Wash the beetroot and peel the skin. Cut it into cubes.
- Cook the beetroot, garlic and the toor dal together with enough water till the dal is mashy. You could pressure cook for 2 whistles or cook it in the microwave.
- Mash the dal and beets together with a masher or with the back of a spoon. You can also pulse it in a blender or mixie.
- Heat oil or ghee in a kadai. Splutter the mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry red chilly and asafoetida.
- Add the tamarind juice, mashed beetroot and dal, rasam powder and salt. Add water to bring to your desired consistency.
- Bring it to a boil and switch off immediately. Garnish with cilantro (coriander leaves). Your beetroot rasam is ready to be Served with rice and papad.
- You can use home made or store bought rasam powder. If you do not have rasam powder, just add 1/2 tsp of cumin powder, 1/2 tsp of pepper powder and 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder.
More Beetroot Recipes
More Curry Recipes