- Submitted by Dahlia on 23rd Feb 2014
(Sauteed Cabbage in Indian Style, Muttaikose Poriyal, Cabbage Thoran, Cabbage Stir-fry)
Recipe For Cabbage Poriyal
- Cabbage - about 4 cups (shredded / grated / finely chopped)
- Onion - 1 (chopped - optional)
- Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt - to taste
For the seasoning
Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
Green chilli - 2 (slit)
- Dry Red Chilli - 1
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash the cabbage and remove the outer layer. Chop it finely, grate it or shred it using a food processor.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the urad dal, green chilies, red chilli, asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Add the onion and saute for a minute. You can skip the onions if you don't want to add.
- Next add the cabbage and mix well. Just sprinkle few drops of water and add salt.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook on medium low flame for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and increase the flame. Add the grated coconut, stir fry for a couple of minutes till all the moisture dries out and switch off.
- Take a microwave safe glass or ceramic dish, add the oil and do the seasoning. This may take about 1 minute. You can also so the tadka (seasoning) on the stove top and proceed.
- Take the chopped cabbage, onion, grated coconut, salt, turmeric and the seasoning in the microwave safe dish.
- Microwave on high power for about 6-8 minutes. The timing purely depends on the quantity of cabbage and your microwave power.
You can make a lot of variations with your cabbage poriyal and make it interesting. Here are a few ideas.
- The kerala style cabbage thoran is very similar except that cumin seeds are added while seasoning.
- You can cook 3 tbsp of mung dal, channa dal, green peas or chickpeas separately and add it to the poriyal just before you add the coconut.
- You can add about 3/4 cup of grated or finely chopped cabbage, broccoli, potato or radish along with the cabbage.
- Finally, you can also add 3 tbsp of crushed peanuts or 1 egg instead of (or along with) the grated coconut and stir fry to add some interesting new flavor and texture.
Cabbage Poriyal with carrot, broccoli and green peas
Cabbage Poriyal with no turmeric and egg added at the end
Red cabbage poriyal
Cabbage and Black Chikpeas Poriyal
Cabbage with Green Beans
More Recipes with Cabbage
More Poriyal Recipes