- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 13th July 2014
Due to health issues, people are deprived certain items which are their favorite. Some people cannot have potatoes due to their diet restrictions. If you are one of them and you like potato vada, here is an ideal alternative. The main ingredients are Raw banana and Elephant foot yam or Suran. These are healthy and non fatty too. Try this lovely option and enjoy this.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves : 2 to 3
For the vada mix
- Raw banana - 1
- Elephantfoot yam (suran) - 125 gms
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Green Chili - 1
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Corriander seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Corriander leaves (cilantro) - handful (chopped)
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp(optional)
- oil - for frying
For the batter
- Gram flour (Besan) - 1/2 cup
- Rice flour - 1 tsp
- Ajwain (Carom seeds) - 2 pinches
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Chili powder - to taste
- Salt - to taste
To make the filling
- Peel the skin of the raw banana and suran. Wash and chop them.
- Boil them in a vessel with enough water, salt and turmeric powder.
- After it is cooked soft, drain the excess water. Mash them and keep aside.
- Crush the ginger, garlic, chili and coriander seeds.
- Heat 2 tblsp of oil in a kadai. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When it is done, add the crushed garlic, ginger, chili and coriander seeds. Saute for a minute.
- Add the mashed raw banana and suran. Add the lime juice and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Make lemon sized balls out of it. The above quantity yields around eight balls. Keep it ready and prepare the batter.
Raw Banana Yam Filling
To make the batter
- Sieve the gram flour. Mix with it the rice flour, asafoetida, chili powder, ajwain and salt.
- Add water little by little and make a smooth batter. The batter should be thick enough to coat the vadas. Make the batter just as you make for potato bonda or bajji.
Raw Banana Yam Filling in Batter
To make the bondas or vadas
- Dip the balls one by one into the batter so that the batter coats it completely.
- Deep fry them on medium flame till golden brown.
Serve the bondas hot with any kind of chutney or sauce.
It can be made into a Raw Banana Yam sandwich too. Take two slices of bread, flatten the bonda and keep on one slice of bread. Top it with sliced tomatoes, onions, cucumber, beetroot and sprinkle some sandwich masala. Keep the other slice of bread on top of it. Apply butter on the outside of both the breads. Toast it using a hand toaster, electric sandwich maker or on a griddle. Serve hot with sauce.
Other Diet Recipes
Other Fried Snacks