- Submitted by Dahlia on 26th oct 2007
(Mushroom Burger, Mushroom Hot dogs, Mushroom Koftas)
Today I am sharing a recipe that was taught to me by my dietician when we were working to lose my excess weight – Mushroom cutlet. Cutlets are usually party recipes, but mushroom cutlets carry the aura of being both a party recipe as well as a diet recipe. Almost all of us are familiar with mushrooms and their miraculous beneficial powers. Particularly, those who have read or heard a lot of fairy tales such as Alice in wonderland, three bears and even those who have played the super Mario brothers video game. We have seen mushrooms making someone bigger or acting as a shield against some dangerous monster. These are not just popular fictions but are actually symbolic representation of the actual health benefits of mushrooms. They truly can protect us from diseases and infections are they are full of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antibiotics and anti oxidants. Mushrooms are extremely beneficial in reducing cholesterol levels. They provide us with high lean proteins and have no cholesterol or fat and are very low in carbohydrates. This is the perfect combination that mushroom gives that help in losing weight. The fiber and certain enzymes in mushrooms also help in lowering cholesterol. Mushrooms are a good source of iron and over 90percent of the nutritive iron value can be absorbed by the body which promotes the formation of red blood cells and keeps people functional at their full potential. Mushroom is extremely beneficial for diabetic individuals. They are known to contain certain compounds which help proper functioning of liver, pancreas and other endocrine glands, thereby promoting the formation of insulin and its regulation throughout the body. Mushroom is also a rich source of calcium and vitamin D. It is quite a rare combination as this vitamin is rarely present in any other vegetable. This vitamin facilitates the absorption and metabolism of calcium and phosphorous which is essential for the bone health. Mushrooms also contain natural antibiotics, which is similar to penicillin that inhibits microbial growth and other fungal infections. This array of nutrition benefits of mushroom along with egg white and vegetables, takes the nutritive quotient of the dish very high.
What could be a better way than eating healthy mushrooms in tasty and lip smacking cutlets? Mushroom cutlet takes only minimal ingredients and can be made in very little time. Enjoy this yummy, crisp, nutritive and wholesome cutlet for an evening snack or even dinner with a bowl of soup or even as a starter for any party or get together. Cheers!!
Recipe For Mushroom Cutlet
Serves : 4
- Mushroom – 1 lb (finely chopped)
- Potato – 1 big (cubed)
- Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup (finely chopped) - You can use vegetables like carrots, beans, peas, corn, spinach etc.. have used only spinach and mushrooms to make the cutlets.
- Onion - 1/4 (finely chopped)
- Garlic - 2 clove (minced)
- Green chilli - 1(finely chopped)
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Egg Whites - 2
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup (for coating)
- Coriander leaves - handful (finely chopped)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil – ¼ cup (for frying)
- Cook the cubed potatoes and other vegetables until all the veggies are tender but firm. Drain excess water and keep aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a small pan and sauté the onions, green chilli and garlic until slightly browned.
- Switch off and add this to the veggies along with chopped mushrooms turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt.
- Let this cool completely and then mash slightly along with egg whites to make a thick mixture.
- Take a small portion and roll them between your palms to make a ball, then press to flatten and shape as cutlet.
- Meanwhile spread a layer of bread crumbs on a plate for coating. Heat the oil in a pan for frying.
- Now take each cutlet, place it on the bread crumbs to coat all sides. Drop that in the hot oil and fry until its golden on both sides. You can also pan fry the cutlets in a tawa.
- If the cutlet mixture becomes soggy, mix little maida or bread crumbs with the cutlet mixture to solve the problem.
- Mushroom can be omitted to get vegetable cutlets.
- Serve the cutlets with ketchup, chilli sauce or any chutney.
- Make big cutlets and place in between buns along with lettuce, sauce etc.. to make Mushroom Burger.
- Make the cutlets in the shape of a sausage and make Mushroom Hot dogs.
More Mushroom Recipes