- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-13-2012
Adai is made out of rice, tuvar dal, urid dal, chana dal, curry leaves, red chilli, green chillies and asafoetida. It is a lovely stuff. But if vegies are added to it, the taste is awesome. I am presenting banana adai (raw banana, elaichi, robusta etc can be used for this).
Rice - 2 cups
Urid Dal - 1/2 cup
Tuvar Dal - 1/2 cup
Channa Dal - 1/4 cup
Red Kashmiri Chillies - 3-4
Green Chillies - 1-2
Salt - to taste
Curry leaves - few
1. Wash and soak the rice, dals, red chilli, green chilli for 2-3 hrs.
2. Grind the items smoothly adding asafoetida and salt.
3. Cut the curry leaves and mix with it.
4. Allow to ferment for 3-4 hrs. Normally for adai, it is coarsely ground . I use a smooth paste like dosa.
5. Peel the banana, slice it and put it in water. Wash properly.
6. Heat the tava, sprinkle some oil and wipe it with a wet cloth.
7. Remove the banana slices one by one, dip it in the adai batter and place it on the tava in a circular shape.
8. Once a circle is formed, rest of the parts can be filled with the adai batter.
9. Pour little oil and allow it to cook. Flip it and allow to cook on the other side also by pouring one more spoon of oil.
10. Serve hot with vazhakai chutney, normal coconut chutney, vadu mangai water, jaggery with white butter (home made butter).
Jaggery and white butter is the best combination. You will love it.