- Submitted by Beryl on 7th Mar 2017
(Mullangi Sambar, Mooli ka Sambar)
Radish is a root vegetable which occurs in different shapes and colours. In India, the white and red long variety is common. In other countries, purple, black radish is also seen. The shape also can be round or cylindrical. Which ever variety of radish you come across, be sure to try them. It has many health benefits. It is a good detoxifier, disinfectant and a diuretic. It is also a good source of fiber and also reduces blood pressure. It is also good for diabetic and asthma patients.
In this recipe I used Red Radish. You can use the same receipe to make White (Daikon) Radish sambar. Radish sambar is particularly known for its nice aroma. This recipe can also be used to make sambar with other veggies like brinjal, drumstick, tomato, okra, zucchini etc.
Recipe for Red Radish Sambar
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Radish (Red or white)- 4 to 5 numbers depending on the size of radish
- Toor Dhal (or Moong Dhal) - 1 1/4 cup
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
- Sambar powder- 3 to 4 tbsp
- Sunflower oil- 2 tbsp
- Green (or red chillies) - 3 numbers
- Tamarind Juice - 1/4 cup
- Jaggery powder- 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Onion - 1/2 (chopped or use shallots - 6 numbers)
- Tomatoes - 2 or 3 (chopped)
- Coriander leaves - one handful (roughly chopped)
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 10 numbers
- Dry red chillies - 4 numbers
- Salt - as necessary
- Water - 3 cups
- In a pressure cooker, take toor dhal (or moong dhal) with water, bit more than sufficient enough to submerge the dhal. Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Switch on the stove. Wait for 6 -7 whistles and remove from stove top.
- In the meantime, clean and cut the radish into round pieces.
- In a pan, pour sunflower oil. When the oil gets heated, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, green or red chillies.
- Add few chopped onions and sprinkle some salt. Saute for few minutes.
- Add fenugreek seeds, asafoetida powder and mix it well.
- Add chopped radish pieces and saute it slightly. The radish should remain crunchy and not overcooked.
- Next add tomatoes and saute.
- Now add turmeric powder, sambar powder and jaggery powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add a cup of water and add cooked toor dhal. and mix it well.
- Now add tamarind juice and mix well. Add more water if necessary.
- Let it boil for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now sprinkle roughly chopped coriander leaves and it is ready to serve.
- Toor dhal is usually recommended to prepare sambar than moong dhal. Toor dhal is also called as sambar paruppu. However people who are not able to digest toor dal can use moong dal.
- If you soak the dhal for 15-30 minutes, it reduces the cooking time and also saves fuel.
- Jaggery enhances the taste of sambar. Those who are diabetic can skip it.
Serving Red Radish Sambar
- Serve this red radish sambar with some white rice and pickle.
- It can also be served with all South Indian tiffin varieties like idli, dosai, ven pongal, rava dosai etc.
More Sweet Potato Recipes