- Submitted by Dahlia on 12th Nov 2014
(Lauki Korma, Bottle gourd Korma, Bottle gourd Qorma)
Korma or Kurma is a mild creamy curry that has many variations. In the Mughlai Cuisine, the creamy gravy uses yogurt or fresh cream. In the South Indian variation Kurma uses coconut and cashew nut paste to bring out the creamy texture of the gravy. The famous Cheetinad Vellai Kurma is one of the most demanded dishes in South Indian Restaurants. There are many many variation to this and one of them is today dish called Sorakkai Kurma. It is a great combination with chapati but can also be served with rice.
- Bottle gourd - 250 gms (1/2 lb)
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato - 1 (chopped)
- Green Chilies - 2 or Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - for garnish
Ingredients to grind
- Fresh Coconut - 3 tbsp
- Poppy Seeds - 1 tsp
- Wash and peel the skin of the bottle gourd. Cut into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle the cumin seeds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute for few minutes.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Next add the chopped tomato and saute till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add the bottle gourd pieces, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Add 1 cup of water. Cover and cook till the bottle gourd is soft (about 7-10 minutes).
- In the meantime, grind together the grated coconut and poppy seeds with little water to a fine paste. You can also add 4-5 cashews along with this for enhanced flavor.
- Reduce the flame and add this ground paste to the simmering curry.
- Simmer for another 2-3 minutes and switch off.
- Try with other vegetables like ridge gourd (peerkangai), chayote squash (chow chow), zucchini, yellow squash or pumpkin.
- If you like to make the kurma white in colour, skip the tomatoes, turmeric powder and red chill powder. Use yogurt and green chilies instead.
Other Bottle Gourd Recipes
Other Vegetarian Gravies